In the years prior to 1917, prayer service heralded the beginning of an era that was to result in the formation of a dedicated group of believers knows as The Pentecostal Mission, who were inspired by a vision for the city of Tyler. This corporate body, led by Godly men, would ultimately be known as First Assembly of God, located at the corner of Beckham and Ferguson Streets. During these early years, prayer services were started praying that a church would be established in Smith Co., a church patterned after the early church in the Book of Acts. This group met on South Fannin Street in Tyler, Texas.
Such fervency of prayer was consuming passion of these early believers known as The Pentecostal Mission in 1917. In 1925, this fellowship applied to the General Council of the Assemblies of God asking for affiliation.
A letter was drafted by the Secretary of the General Council of the Assemblies of God, accepting this fellowship calling this new church The Assembly of Tyler. During the next several years, many members were added who later became a great asset to the future church. In 1932, another work was established on East Erwin St. known as the Full Gospel Tabernacle. In 1934, application was made to affiliate with the General Council of Assemblies of God and the new establishment became known as The Assembly of God.
In 1935, a merge of The Assembly of God with The Assembly of Tyler was agreed upon by the members, which eventually became what is known as First Assembly of God in Tyler, TX. Soon after the merge, the board of trustees entered into an agreement for securing property on the corner of Ferguson and Beckham Streets. In 1937, a deed of trust was signed for the purchase of the property and soon after, the body of believers entered into a project of erecting a building on this site.
To communicate the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all people, yield to the Holy Spirit as He wills, reach out and help the lost and hurting thus building the Kingdom of God and seek to be a people who serve God wholeheartedly, give unselfishly and care sacrificially.